A Tool Box About Fire Extinguishers
Fires can be very dangerous for any industry, and the cost associated with repairs is extremely expensive. It’s in everyone’s best interest to prevent them – but how? One of the most effective ways you can do this is to simply comply with fire prevention rules. This also includes knowing how to use fire extinguishers properly.
Here are some excellent fire prevention tips as it pertains to fire extinguishers to keep in mind:
- Educate yourself on the different types of fire extinguishers
- Make sure you know how to use each of the different types of fire extinguishers available.
- Be aware of the location of fire alarm boxes and extinguishers are located so you can find them easily if needed during an emergency.
- Inspect fire extinguishers to make sure they are in good working condition.
Knowing the basics of fire extinguishers is always a good start to prevent fires, however, there are some other things you can do including:
- Properly discard of all trash and debris in areas before they accumulate.
- Store hazardous materials in designated areas and in proper containers.
- Exits should be kept free of any obstructions that could prevent people from exiting quickly.
- Familiarize yourself with proper exits in case of an emergency.
- Be diligent when working around electrical connections and make sure they are working properly.
- Smoke in designated areas ONLY and use fireproof receptacles to extinguish cigarettes.
- Be cautious while handling flammable liquids including paint thinner, alcohol, naphtha, lacquer thinner and gasoline, and clean spills ASAP.
- Fire-resistant covers, spark shields and a fire watch should be used as appropriate to prevent fires.
Please remember while at work we all need to do our part to prevent fires. We never expect them to happen, but when they do, we need to know exactly how to act so the danger is minimized to everyone on the job site. If you have questions about your fire safety practices and procedures, get clarification from your Supervisor.